Common Household Pet Poisons

What most people don’t realize is that there are many common household items that are toxic to pets that we don’t really think about. There are the ones that almost everyone knows about like Chocolate and Antifreeze, but there are actually many others that don’t seem to shine as bright in the spotlight. These toxins can be very dangerous and at times, can cause death. An important thing to remember is that animals and humans react very differently to food and medications which means that something that may seem harmless to us, may not be for our fur babies. Our pets are also very curious, so if something smells good, they’ll eat it.

The following list shows some of the most common toxins we see in hospital:

  • Chocolate; A key component to remember is that the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it becomes.
  • Avocados
  • Grapes and Raisins
  • Onions and Chives
  • Garlic
  • Macadamia Nuts
  • Xylitol; most commonly found in chewing gum
  • Yeast Dough
  • Antifreeze
  • Coffee and Alcohol
  • Certain human medicine products (ex: Tylenol); You should always consult your Veterinarian before giving your pet any human medications
  • Cleaning products like bleach
  • Certain plants or flowers

In the event that your pet does consume a toxic product, please call your Veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline immediately. Time is of the essence when it comes to toxicity. Upon calling, be prepared to have the following information:

  • What was ingested
  • Amount ingested
  • How long ago was the ingestion

There are a few Pet Poison Helplines that can be contacted:

  1. ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center: 1-888-426-4435
  2. Pet Poison Helpline: 1-800-213-6680

Written by RaeAnne Emmell