We remain open to provide care for your pets. We are following the direction of government and regulatory authorities and have implemented hospital and visit protocols to keep both you and our team safe. For regular updates on our hours and visit protocols, please follow our social media platforms.
Pet euthanasia is the final act of saying “goodbye” to our pet.
What is pet euthanasia and how do I know when it’s the right time?
Euthanasia is a humane, safe and controlled method for helping our pets pass away peacefully. If you are considering euthanasia or are unsure when would be the appropriate time to say goodbye to your pet, contact Baxter Animal Hospital to have a discussion with a veterinarian regarding the quality of life and what signs to look for in your pet.
What drug is used?
We used a product call Euthansol, which is in the same drug family as anesthetic drugs. Euthansol is a very potent drug and when given, mimics the effects of an overdose of anesthetic (induces sleep and then causes the heart to stop).
What is the cost of euthanasia?
Please contact us for specific costs of euthanasia. We have options for you to consider such as home burial, cremation or having your pet’s ashes returned to you.
Does the clinic also provide bereavement counselling?
The clinic absolutely provides bereavement counselling and the resources to a number of hotlines which are available to call.
Due to the close contact that our work requires, we have taken additional measures to protect you and our team while providing care for your furry family members.
The following changes are effective as of Wednesday, March 18, 2020:
1. We are currently operating a "closed waiting room" policy to protect our clients and staff. Our inside door will be locked. You can come into the vestibule and we will let you in when you get here or you can call us at 705-674-9191 upon arrival for your appointment or pick up. We ask that only one person bring your pet into the hospital for an examination with the veterinarian.
2. We are continuing to accept regular appointments so please call ahead to book a time.
3. We are still OPEN with the following hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 10 am - 6 pm Wednesday: 12 pm - 8 pm Friday: 9 am - 5 pm Saturday & Sunday: Closed
4. If you are ordering food or medications, please allow 3-5 business days as our suppliers are dealing with increased demand and are trying to fill orders as quickly as possible. We will advise you as soon as your order arrives. Please call us ahead of time to ensure we have what you need and can have it prepared before your arrival. You can also use our online store and have your food delivered directly to your home. To sign up for the Online Store, please visit our website.
5. For the time being, we are not accepting cash as payment. Credit cards and debit card payments are still available.
Following the recommendations of our government and medical experts, we are doing our best to practice social distancing within the constraints of our jobs. We have taken these measures to avoid both contracting and facilitating the spread of this disease.
Thank you for helping us be diligent for everyone's safety. As we have heard from all levels of government, the situation is fluid, and any updates will be provided as changes occur.