We remain open to provide care for your pets. We are following the direction of government and regulatory authorities and have implemented hospital and visit protocols to keep both you and our team safe. For regular updates on our hours and visit protocols, please follow our social media platforms.
New puppies should have a series of 3 vaccines at 8, 12 and 16 weeks of age. At the end of this, they will be protected for distemper, adenovirus, parvovirus, parainfluenza, rabies, leptospirosis and bordetella.
Why is it important to properly vaccinate your puppy?
Your puppy needs to have a healthy immune system in order to fight off infectious diseases. Vaccines prime the immune system in order for it to quickly recognize and fight off diseases.
What is an appropriate schedule for puppy vaccinations?
8, 12 and 16 weeks of age is ideal, but we encourage our clients to call us when they get their new puppy and we can review their vaccine history.
How should you prepare your puppy for its first vaccination visit?
It is a good idea to get your puppy used to the car. Don’t feed your puppy a big meal before the car ride to help with any car sickness. Also, bring a few of your pup’s favourite treats with you.
How much do puppy vaccinations cost?
Costs of vaccines will depend on you and your puppy’s lifestyle. Please call Baxter Animal Hospital and we can go through your choices.
Due to the close contact that our work requires, we have taken additional measures to protect you and our team while providing care for your furry family members.
Last updated: Thursday, May 28, 2020
1. We are currently operating a "closed waiting room" policy to protect our clients and staff. Our door will be locked. Please call the number posted on the front door when you arrive and one of our Registered Veterinary Technicians will come to take the history and collect your pet. Our veterinarian will contact you by phone to discuss your pet's health before you leave.
2. We can now see all cases by appointment only.
3. We are still OPEN with the following hours: Monday - Tuesday: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm Wednesday - Thursday: 8:00 am - 8:00 pm Friday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
4. If you are ordering food or medications, please allow 5-7 business days as our suppliers are dealing with increased demand and are trying to fill orders as quickly as possible. We will advise you as soon as your order arrives. Please call us ahead of time to ensure we have what you need and can have it prepared before your arrival. You can also use our online store and have your food delivered directly to your home. To sign up for the Online Store, please visit our website.
5. For the time being, we are not accepting cash as payment. Credit cards and debit card payments are still available.
Following the recommendations of our government and medical experts, we are doing our best to practice social distancing within the constraints of our jobs. We have taken these measures to avoid both contracting and facilitating the spread of this disease.
Thank you for helping us be diligent for everyone's safety. As we have heard from all levels of government, the situation is fluid, and any updates will be provided as changes occur.