“I am not comfortable putting or giving my pet (insert veterinary parasite prevention product here). It’s toxic! I want to use natural products.” It is one of the most common concerns/responses we get when discussing parasite prevention with our pet parents. Did you know that some natural products that are safe for us humans are not for our pets?
Essential oils and their use has made an enormous return for use in people for healthier alternatives in preventive health care and healing. These same products, although safe for us, are not for our pets.
I make my own DIY bug repellent at home in a spray bottle. We use a combination of different essential oils that are used to repel fleas, ticks, mosquitoes and other pests. In these sprays are different amounts of tea tree oil, eucalyptus, citrus oils, peppermints, pines etc. although these ingredients are safe for us, not so for our dog or cat.
When our pet licks, ingests or topically absorbs some of these oils, the consequences can be severe. Some symptoms may include tremors, seizures, excessive drooling, liver failure and death. Just a tiny droplet can cause a lot of damage.
There is not a lot of research out there on essential oils and pets nor the proper dilution for parasites control.
Please give us a call if you have questions or concerns about parasite prevention and your pet.
Natural is not always safe. If your pet has been exposed to essential oils and is having clinical signs, please contact Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661 and contact your veterinarian immediately.
Check out this great webinar for essential oils and pets.
Written by: Michelle, RVT