Things you will need:
- fine point tweezers or tick remover tool
- container with lid or Ziploc bag
Steps for Removal:
1. Put gloves on to avoid any contact with your skin
2. Prepare your container or plastic bag for disposal of the tick once you have removed it. You can add alcohol to your method
3. Take your pointy tweezers or tick remover tool in one hand and spread the fur of your dog with the other hand. Grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible while trying to keep the head and the mouth intact
4. Do not twist or jerk the tick, gently pull it out straight, steadily and firmly. Anything left behind like the mouthpiece can lead to an infection
5. Once the tick is removed, dispose of it properly. Clean the site with some alcohol, wash your hands and disinfect your tools.
Here is a video demonstration.
Written by Carisa Leblanc, Technician Student