|  After Hours Emergency Number: 705.222.5525

705.674.9191

What You Need To Know About Fleas

Here are some tips you need to know when it comes to fleas.

• Fleas are the number one external parasite that you may encounter throughout your pets life.
• Just because you can’t see any fleas on your pet, does not mean they are not there.
• If you have a flea infestation, only 5% of adult fleas actually live on your pet. The other 95% live in your home!
• A female adult flea can lay over 2000 eggs in her lifetime.
• The flea will jump onto your pet and bite them, taking a blood meal.
• You may see a “salt and pepper” substance on your pet’s back, that is commonly called “flea dirt”, and it’s the digested blood that the flea excretes.
• The flea will then lay eggs on your pet, which then fall off and grow into larvae which live in your carpet, baseboards, furniture, and bedding, anywhere your pet goes.
• The larvae spin a cocoon and pupate, then emerge as an adult flea, and the cycle begins again.
• This whole cycle can take only 12 days in the right weather conditions.  That’s a lot of fleas in a short period of time.
• It is much easier to prevent fleas than to treat them once your pet has them.
• Generally, flea season is spring through fall, but in recent years there have been increasing flea infestations throughout the winter as well.
• If you have a flea infestation and have any other pets, all of the pets in the house will have to be treated for fleas, as well as treating the house.
• The entire house and all furniture will need to be vacuumed, and all bedding should be washed and dried in a clothes dryer.
• Flea product should be purchased by your veterinarian as some store-bought products can be harmful especially for cats.

If you have any questions, feel free to call us anytime at Baxter Animal Hospital.

 

Written by Anne Huard

Category:

Blog

Veterinarian with owner and dog

Vaccines and Why My Pet Should Get Them?

Whether it be humans or pets we all know that immunizing against diseases is the best tool for preventive medicine.

Read More
See All Articles

Last updated: July 12, 2021

Dear Clients,

With recent changes to restrictions on businesses, we have made some important updates to our operating policies.

1. WE CAN NOW SEE ALL CASES BY APPOINTMENT ONLY

This includes vaccines, wellness exams, blood work, heartworm testing, spays and neuters, dental services, and more!

2. SAFETY MEASURES TO KEEP EVERYONE SAFE

3. OPERATING HOURS

We are OPEN with the following hours:
Monday - Wednesday: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thursday: 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm

Thank you for your patience and understanding and we look forward to seeing you and your furry family members again!

- Your dedicated team at Baxter Animal Hospital